Coal Plant - 5 x 7 - pencil, top
Decay - 5 x 7 - pencil, middle
Save the Bats - 5 x 7 - pencil, bottom
A few small pencil drawings will help clarify my stand on a coal export facility proposed near my home.
I believe everyone has a responsibility to act in an environmentally responsible manner. No exceptions. The decision by our local county commissioners to approved a 5.7-million-ton-a-year coal export shipping facility on the Columbia River doesn't sit right. They didn't adequately consider the environmental impacts, both here in our county, nor in the areas the coal is coming from, or going to. They said that wasn't their responsibility. Why?
Many people in our area are opposed to the project. I've collected information that helps clarify why we don't want a coal export plant built here. It's not in line with what the Governor has ordered. So why in the world is it even moving forward?
Allan says it so well, "It's my belief that different energy sources will take us into the future. Technology will leave coal far behind. It will stay in the ground, but why should we get a coal dusting in Cowlitz County in the meantime?"
- Governor Gregoire Signs Order to Cut Climate Pollution
- Columbia River Coal Export Facilty Challenged on Greenhouse Gases, Dec. 14, 2010, Society of Environmental Journalists
- West Coast coal exports to China challenged on greenhouse gases, Dec. 13, 2010, LA Times
- Environmental groups appeal approval of coal export facility, Dec. 13, 2010, Oregonian
- Groups challenge Cowlitz County's approval of coal export facility, Dec. 13, 2010, The Daily News
- No Coal Please, Dec. 9, 2010, Allan Wise
- Riverkeeper leader a hero to friends, obstructionist to foes, Dec. 4, 2010, The Daily News
- Nations That Debate Coal Use Export It to Feed China's Need, Nov. 21, 2010, New York Times
- County Can Do Much Better, Nov. 21, 2010, Sandra Davis
- More Study is Needed, Nov. 20, 2010, Judy Baker
- Commissioners should support coal export facility, Nov. 19, 2010, The Daily News
- Protest over coal facility expected at commissioners meeting, Nov. 15, 2010, The Daily News
On Twitter http://twitter.com/climatesolution
On Facebook http://www.facebook.com/climatesolutions
Washington Environmental Council http://wecprotects.org/
On Twitter http://twitter.com/wecprotects
On Facebook http://www.facebook.com/wecprotects
On Twitter http://twitter.com/earthjustice
On Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Earthjustice
On Twitter http://twitter.com/epagov
On Facebook http://www.facebook.com/EPA
Washington Department of Ecology http://www.ecy.wa.gov/
On Twitter http://twitter.com/ecologywa
On Facebook http://www.facebook.com/EcologyWA