Sunday, November 07, 2010

Rhody #13 (Yellow Rhody)

Rhody #13 (Yellow Rhody) - oil - 11 x 14 top
watercolor study - 12 x 16 bottom
My painting energy has slowed down a bit, perhaps because I'm taking too long to complete each painting. This frustrates me, resulting in even less painting energy.

However; I'm very happy with my latest small floral called 'Rhody, Yellow'. I feel like I captured the essence of a Yellow Rhody in sunshine. I can feel sunshine and petal in both the watercolor study and the oil version. That, I believe, is the definition of a successful painting.

I'm also energized to start a new watercolor, or oil, that incorporates more of the plant structure. Compositionally, this painting is more abstract than realist. Even though I know what it is, some people may not recognize the flower. I'd like to do a larger painting with more blossoms, sky and leaves, so that I can capture all of those beautiful components working together.

The oil version was direct painted, using a fond brun underpainting, which I've explained on my techniques blog. I haven't done much direct painting, although I love  other artworks done this way. Perhaps I haven't been confident enough to tackle a painting done right the first time, finding comfort in the ability to cover up mistakes in multiple layers. But the benefits of direct painting (for me) seem logical and practical.

So perhaps I'll try more direct painting to energize and get more painting accomplished! 

PS: The Rhododendron is Washington State's official flower!

2 comments:

Gumnut said...

Absolutely beautiful.

You definitely have some great skill in this medium. Thanks so much for sharing.

Nutty
(up late)

Katherine Thomas said...

Oh my goodness, it's exquisite! The detail you achieved is perfect! Would you like to join yet another artists group? I'd love to see what you come up with for the theme Candy and Sweets.
http://littleartclub.blogspot.com/