Saturday, October 30, 2010

Trillium

Trillium - 11 x 14 - oil, top
Trillium - 12 x 16 - watercolor, bottom
Finished Paintings
Two studies of a Trillium, a three-leafed spring perennial that grows wild in Washington State. It's also known as a 'wakerobin.' When my children were small we'd walk in the woods and my daughter would pick little bunches of Trilliums for me.

Usually I favor my oil version, but this time the watercolor seems to capture the spirit of a Trillium, like a translucent little butterfly.

A white trillium is the official flower of Ontario, Canada. It's also the official wildflower of Ohio. Here in Washington State it isn't anything special, except if you love the underdog, like me.

2 comments:

rjaspers said...

Hi Marie,
I enjoyed talking with you today at the Expo Center. It was driving me crazy what paintings I had come across of yours the other day. It was the trilliums. I was doing a blog on the trilliums in my back woods and I found your paintings on a google search. Very nice!

I will have to check out your other works when I have some time. It is always fascinating to see how different artists approach their painting.
Rick Jaspers

Marie Wise said...

Hi Rick, glad to see you too! You might want to check my new website at www.mariewise.com. I just blogged about Earth Day and you're in one of the photos! Take care