Sunday, July 18, 2010

Paintings at the Naked Winery

Do you like wine and art? 

Naked Winery is a family-owned winery based in Wishram. They have a tasting room in Hood River, Oregon that's seen several expansions. Every time I visit it's a busy place.

Recently the owners agreed to feature my paintings exclusively. For this artist, that's a dream-come-true! In late June we installed the first group of paintings. They include the Angel and Eve series of figure works, along with selected florals.

As with any installation, there are details to work out. We have to revise our show cards (they're too big), and make more table cards so that people can easily learn about my work and see the names and sizes of the paintings.

I've read a bit about the winery business, specifically challenges small wineries are facing in this economy. People are being conservative in what they purchase, and often eliminate luxury items like wine when dollars are tight. But Naked Winery seems to be sailing with flying colors. The are expanding their tasting rooms, and every time we've been to Hood River, even on weekdays, the place is hopping with activity.

I'm not a business person, but I think credit is due to the out-of-the-box marketing strategy they've adopted. It intrigues people so much they can't not check it out. The fact that the wines are fabulous keeps them coming back and telling their friends (which is exactly what I'm doing)! Surf their website and see if you don't think it's creative marketing at its best.

It doesn't hurt either that their tasting room staff are about the friendliest and most accomodating people I've ever met. They know the wines, they know what people like, they make them feel at home, and now they can see my artwork!

The support the Naked Winery owners have given my artwork has been the coup needed to return me to what I've always loved best, figure work. Thus, I'm almost finished with a new Eve painting that we plan to hang soon, and one-by-one, we'll replace the florals with new figure works.

I only uploaded a few pictures here, but you can see the complete gallery on flickr.

I hope you are able to make it into the Naked Winery tasting room in Hood River one of these days to enjoy my paintings, and of course, the wine.

I'll get back to painting now, that's what I love best!

2 comments:

ART-TRAVELLER said...

Wonderful place and very clever idea for an art exhibition there !!!

Joye Schwartz said...

Your paintings are awesome and colorful, glad I found you on Twitter:)! Going to follow your feed.