Saturday, June 19, 2010

Pet Portraits: Buddy and Tator!


Pet Portrait of Buddy - 9 x 12 - watercolor, top
Pet Portrait of Tator - 9 x 12 - watercolor, bottom

Que sera, sera, sometimes paintings happen like magic! These two tri-colored cocker spaniels are the love bugs of a favorite customer, but I feel like I know them myself. I stroked their soft, glossy fur with my paint brush and looked into their liquid brown eyes for weeks while I patiently applied layers of color.

I've never painted doggies before, only a few cats, but I'd do it again just for the joy of capturing their little faces. They're so much different than everything else I paint.

Watercolor is a mysterious medium. It changes as it dries, so you never really know if what you put down is right. I guess that comes with experience, which I don't have (in watercolor that is). But I feel like I'm getting the hang of it. You can't handle it like oils, You have to put a wet wash of color down, and leave it alone until it dries, which is really hard.

I like to do a layer, then go do something else, then come back the next day. Mostly I use watercolor to do studies for larger paintings. Sometimes I end up liking the watercolors better than the bigger paintings!

These two little guys are in the mail to their Mom, who already said she likes them. So off I go to other paintings! Voila, little cockers! 

2 comments:

ART-TRAVELLER said...

Really are very lovely dogs !!!

Celeste Bergin said...

very nice work on the cocker...first rate!