Sunday, May 30, 2010

Painting at Lucia Falls

Lucia Falls, watercolor, 9 x 12  - top
actual waterfall scene - middle
sign at entrance to Lucia Falls - bottom

Allan and I painted at Lucia Falls yesterday, in between boughts of rain showers. I'd never been there before but Allan has painted there several times.

It's a lovely spot near Battle Ground with a gushing, frothing waterfall surrounded by rock formations. Allan already had a special spot picked out, hidden from visitors with a birds-eye view.

I've taken to using watercolors for plein air lately, simply because they are easier to manage. I like using watercolors and definitely need more practice. If I mess up, it's simply a piece of paper, not a whole gessoed panel full of expensive oil paints!

Allan is working on two oil paintings and he will probably go back and finish them this week. I'm happy with my painting; well, happy enough to show it  to you! Oh, I really did see that little fish jump too!

3 comments:

Claire Beadon Carnell said...

Your painting has far more depth and interest than the photo reference - absolutely beautiful!

怡潔 said...

He that travels far knows much.......................................................

Celeste Bergin said...

I like watercolor and acrylic for plein air too--lots less hassle. You did a great job on the falls..and the fish!