Sunday, April 18, 2010

Tiburon Mariposa Lily


I finished my lily and it will be featured in the 140Hours Art for the Earth auction beginning April 22, 2010. 50% of the proceeds from the auction will benefit Tree People and Global Green, two charities focusing on fostering and supporting a sustainable future for our planet.

As you can see from my previous post, the lily morphed when I added all of the delicate hairy fibers that surround the petals. These are what make this plant so unique.

This lily is rare and can only be found only on Ring Mountain in Marin County, California. It was declared endangered in 1987 by the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service due to loss of surrounding habitat to recreational activities, competition from invasive species, and proximity to dense population centers. The scientific name is Calochortus tiburonensis, a rare member of the family Liliaceae.

In order to do this painting, I obtained permission to use reference photos taken by two California photographers, RandomTruth and Tom Hilton. Thanks!

You can learn more about my lily on YouTube at: Tiburon Mariposa Lily, or see it in progress on my Facebook Fan Page.

It was definitely a fun project! Here's to Earth Day 2010.