Sunday, April 11, 2010

Tiburon Mariposa Lily - in Progress




Tiburon Mariposa Lily - 22 x 28 - oil on canvas, in progress (top)
Marie at work at the easel (below)
140Hours Art Auction owner Gary Brant and I recently brainstormed the idea of holding a special charity art auction in honor of Earth Day. I thought it was a good idea because it's the 40th anniversary of Earth Day, and lots of people are involved in Earth Day events and activities.
Gary located two charities to participate in the event, Tree People and Global Green. 50% of the proceeds from sold artworks will benefit these charities, both focused on fostering and supporting a sustainable future for our planet.
I liked the idea of being able to support something important through my artwork, so I decided to create a special painting just for the auction.
You can see it, above. It's an up-close view of a rare and endangered Tiburon Mariposa Lily, found only on Ring Mountain in Marin County, California. In order to do this painting, I obtained permission to use reference photos taken by two California photographers, RandomTruth and Tom Hilton. Thanks!
I did a lot of research on this Lily beforehand. I learned it was declared endangered in 1987 by the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service due to loss of surrounding habitat to recreational activities, competition from invasive species, and proximity to dense population centers. The scientific name is Calochortus tiburonensis, a rare member of the family Liliaceae.
I'm excited about including it in the auction. Please tune into 140Hours beginning April 22, 2010 and you will see it there, along with other artworks focused on Earth Day themes.
You can learn more about this painting on YouTube at: Tiburon Mariposa Lily.
Or see it in progress on my Facebook Fan Page.
It's still on the easel so stay tuned for the finished painting! Thank you my friends.

1 comment:

Mike said...

I gotta tell ya, I've been paying more attention to paintings the past few months or so. I come across quite a few each week. You are, in my opinion, the best I've seen yet! I think you're an amazing artist!