Saturday, March 06, 2010

Sedona Paintings: Side Rock



top to bottom
Side Rock
- watercolor - 6 x 9
Side Rock - watercolor sketch - 3.5 x 5.5
Side Rock - pencil sketch - 3.5 x 5.5
This is just a small portion of a rock formation located next to Bell Rock. I couldn't possibly capture the whole thing, so I focused on capturing the profile near the top, where sage greenery and red striations on the rock seemed to form a design.
I sat in our studio cabin at the Red Agave Resort, which provided the best view I could have asked for. I was warm, the coffee was brewing, and I didn't have to worry about wind!
As with my other Sedona paintings, I did a little sketch in my Moleskine notebook, followed by a watercolor study in my Moleskine notebook, followed by the painting on Twinrocker handmade, cold-pressed watercolor paper. I used mostly Daniel Smith watercolors (the best in the world), including several of the quinacridone colors.
Here are the other Sedona paintings:
You might also enjoy my photo set of Sedona pictures.

No comments: