Tuesday, March 02, 2010

Sedona Paintings: Shadow



top to bottom
Shadow
- watercolor - 6 x 9
Shadow - watercolor sketch - 3.5 x 5.5
Shadow - pencil sketch - 3.5 x 5.5
After I finished Bell Rock, I felt confident enough to move outside to try and paint another magnificent rock formation. I sat at a picnic table in the courtyard of the Red Agave Resort, a perfect location. The shadows were very strong and I tried to capture them while still showing definition within them. I started with the drawing, moved into a small watercolor sketch, then attempted the larger version.
The sun was very bright and the shadows changed as I worked, but I used the sketch as my guide. Of course, no artist can catch the real colors or vista that I saw, but this was my attempt to capture just a little bit of that Sedona sunshine on a bright, crisp February day!
The last painting was done on Twinrocker handmade, cold-pressed watercolor paper. I used mostly Daniel Smith watercolors (the best in the world), including several of the quinacridone colors.
Enjoy!
You might also enjoy my photo set of Sedona pictures.

1 comment:

Celeste Bergin said...

beautiful paintings--and your photo set is awesome. What a pretty place--everything is so warm/orange