Saturday, March 20, 2010

Massive Gnarly Washed Up Tree Root


Washed up Tree Root - oil on panel - 12 x 16 (top)
My painting set up (bottom)
Our plans to visit Hood River today didn't pan out and it was a beautiful day so we decided to plein air paint at the Port of Kalama Marine Park.
Every time we walk or drive by the Ahle Point end I've been fascinated by this huge gnarly washed up tree root that has been there forever. It seems a Georgia O'Keeffe-ish/Andrew Wyeth kind of subject that if I had the time, I'd spend hours drawing.
Since there was very little wind I decided this was the day to finally give it a try and set up my easel fairly close to the waterline, but not close enough to get wet!
The thing isn't that easy to paint and I spent most of my time just trying to accurately render the gnarly shapes. Then I had to get enough paint on to contrast the darks and lights which was part of what intriqued me--the big dark shape against a light sky.
It isn't the best thing I've ever painted but I think I captured the shape, which was the hardest part. When I was just about ready to pack up a little boat sped by so I added it.
It was a good painting day !

No comments: