Sunday, February 28, 2010

Sedona Paintings: Bell Rock




top to bottom
Bell Rock #1 - watercolor - 6 x 9
Bell Rock #2 - watercolor - 6 x 9
Study for Bell Rock - watercolor - 3.5 x 5.5
Sketch for Bell Rock - pencil - 3.5 x 5.5
Never having been to Arizona and feeling the need for sunshine, we took a relaxing vacation in Sedona. I didn't know very much about it, but now I think it must be one of the most beautiful places in America.
We painted, hiked, ate, slept and soaked in sunshine. We stayed at the Red Agave Resort and it was perfect. You could walk out into a courtyard and see this very view of Bell Rock that I painted. I definitely want to go there again.
The red rock formations surrounding Sedona are impressive and monolithic. They truly are this red. Combined with the greenery, cacti and blue skies, it was an artist's paradise.
We also visited art galleries and took a driving trip to Flagstaff. Amazingly, we went from sunshine and t-shirts in Sedona, to six feet of snow near Flagstaff. Allan's favorite part of the whole trip was eating at the Grand Canyon Cafe on Route 66 in Flagstaff. I thought it was a dive!
Here is my Sedona painting journey. For each scene I did a sketch and preliminary watercolor study in my Moleskine notebooks, followed by the painting(s) on Twinrocker handmade, cold-pressed watercolor paper. I used mostly Daniel Smith watercolors (the best in the world), including several of the quinacridone colors.
Enjoy!
You might also enjoy my photo set of Sedona pictures.

2 comments:

ML and Sheri D said...

Hi Marie-- Enjoyed visiting you website and blog! It looks like you had fun with Bell Rock.
Regards, ML Coleman / Sedona

Beaded Jewelry said...

Nice Blog! Well most of your content and image is original and informative. Here is another site which is also nice in my opinion Famous Artists??