Tuesday, February 09, 2010

Camellias and Shell at 140Hours Valentine Auction

Camellias and Shell - 12 x 16 - oil on panel

My painting Camellias and Shell, along with a host of other wonderful paintings, will be part of the 140Hours Valentine Auction starting at 6 pm Friday PST (2.12.2010).
The art auction concept via Twitter is new and innovative, and 140Hours is doing a great job of promoting and managing the auction. It's a good opportunity for self-representing artists to put their work into the East Coast art gallery scene, even if they live on the West Coast, like me!
I thought about my painting just now, and it seems appropriate for a Valentine Auction because its rather delicate and flowery. I was inspired to paint it a year ago after seeing Pierre Bonnard's works at the Metropolitan Museum. His paintings are so intimate, even when they are just fruit and flowers. It made me want to paint a similar intimately connected subject. I picked some flowers from our neighbors tree and set them into a blue vase next to my shell. Voila.
Perhaps someone will appreciate them. I hope so! Join the auction, or just watch it happen at 140Hours.
~ I will keep the brush happy in my hand! ~~

2 comments:

Painting Intimate Moments of Motherhood said...

great, Marie, good for you!

Celeste Bergin said...

a very pretty painting...I am sure it will do well!