My Power of the Wind exhibit at Lower Columbia College ended on January 23, and last week Allan brought home all the paintings. I rearranged my art storage closet so we could store them away. It's the end of an era!
While the show was up my studio felt empty. For almost three years I'd fillled it with wind paintings in various stages of completion, my collection of wind energy magazines and clippings about wind turbines, a miniature model of a wind turbine, and other inspirational paraphernalia. Now it's time for a fresh start.
I spent the month of January cleaning my studio, rearranging the furniture and doing color studies. The first task was to clean out all the accumulated junk and messiness. To accomplish this I bought a Shark steam floor cleaner at Costco and steamed all the drips and paint spatters off my hardwood floor. Then I pulled everthing off the walls and decided to leave them blank. I rearranged the furniture to make optimal use of the window light, and set up a corner for still life arrangements, or for models to pose. Voila, you can see it in the first picture above, including the first painting in progress. Here's how it looked before.
Then I spend the rest of the month making color charts according to Richard Schmid's book, Alla Prima, Everything I Know About Painting. (I was such a good girl Santa brought it for Christmas!) Here's how I did the color charts.
At my Power of the Wind opening reception Ray Cooper (art faculty at Lower Columbia Collage) asked me what my next painting project would be. I replied--something with people! With that in mind I think I'm ready. I have two new paintings in progress, both portraits! You can see the first one in progress in the studio picture above. So here's to a clean studio!
Happy New Year!