Sunday, December 06, 2009

Simple, Classic Child's Portrait

Simple, Classic Child's Portrait - 8 x 10 - oil on linen panel
Allan says I should concentrate on what I do best; people. Which also happens to be what I love best!
A recent charcoal commission included photos of a child that I felt were universal, touching and delicate. I changed the clothing to represent a typical white shift worn by a child in the 1800s. The background represents classical portrait background colors that might have been used by Rembrandt or other Dutch painters of the time.
I used a linen panel pre-primed with oil gesso, sketched the shapes and blocked in with Terra Rosa thinned with turps. Then I added color on color, using a palette of earth tones similar to what would have been available during Rembrandt's time: Flake White, Raw Sienna, Burnt Sienna, Burnt Umber, Raw Umber, Venetian Red, Yellow Ochre and Cobalt Blue.
I also used a traditional medium (sparingly), and finished in about 3 hours. You can see the progress and fan me at Marie Wise Art Journey Paintings.
It dried for one week then I photographed it (today). When completely dry I'll varnish, frame and display!
~I will keep the brush happy in my hand!~

1 comment:

Celeste Bergin said...

The little white dress is especially nice!