Friday, November 06, 2009

October Wind #3

Third in my October Wind turbine series, based on my trip through Klickitat County on the Washington side of the Columbia River Gorge. I completed it a couple of weeks ago, but I've been so busy with life and everything that I haven't had time to post. I really like this painting. There's lots of yellow ochre, which is exactly what I saw that day last early October. The greens are 'fallish' and I made them with ultramarine blue and various yellows. I found that ultramarine blue makes a more realistic green; less garish than the Winsor or Viridian greens that I've used before. I could vary the green much more towards blue, which I did in the distant shrubs, and you can't get that shade when using the green pigments. That's because as distance recedes, you lose yellow first, then red, leaving you with just blue on the far horizon. I learned that from Mitch Baird.
Check out my new book: 'Power of the Wind', and join my Facebook Fan Page to see paintings in progress!
~ I will keep the brush happy in my hand! ~

No comments: