Sunday, October 04, 2009

October First Friday Highlights - Hood River!

First Friday at the Naked Winery
top image - My new painting at the Naked Winery!
Seen in photo (l-r): myself, Anna Weber, wine educator; John Tickner, tasting room manager

bottom image - Me at the bar having a glass of wine
You can see my paintings in the background

Our first stop in Hood River was the Naked Winery tasting room, to chat with owner David Barringer and install my newest figure painting, Meringue Angel. David and staff were all busy, because First Friday brings a lot of customers and traffic to Hood River, but everyone was very gracious, taking time to talk with us, posing for a photo in front of my painting, and even letting me try on tee-shirts. The Naked Winery has been very accommodating to hanging my figure paintings in a non-traditional setting (for artwork display). I've sold two, so it must be working! The staff said they loved the work, and customers often comment on it. Thanks Naked!

~~~

Ellen Dittebrant at the Columbia Center for the Arts

top image - Ellen Dittebrandt
bottom image - Ellen's paintings at the Columbia Center for the Arts

Just behind the Naked Winery is the Columbia Center for the Arts. Many different artists were showing there, but I had the chance to chat with Ellen Dittebrandt, who's paintings I've loved for years, having first seen them at the Mother Goose Gallery in downtown Portland. Ellen is a colorist and her work is bright and vibrant; that's why I love it. I'd really like to acquire a smaller painting one of these days. She and I chatted about acrylic techniques and so forth, and even though she was busy with potential customers, she agreed to pose for a picture. Thanks Ellen!
~~~

Benjamin Benjamin Gallery

top image - Benjamin Benjamin Gallery interior
bottom image - Benjamin Benjamin Gallery entrance and sign

Around the corner from the Columbia Center is the Benjamin Benjamin Gallery, with an October showing by Brian and Corinne Vegter. Brian is a dog artist and his acrylic paintings of vacations with his dog were lively and vibrant. Corinne's ceramic travel trailers complete with interior lighting were unique and unusual. There was quite a crowd roasting s'mores on a little brazier outside the entrance, which fit well with the 'family vacation' show theme. I enjoyed talking briefly with Brian about his acrylic works, and Benjamin Benjamin curator Myah Bailey and her husband Scott were so gracious to us, as always. Here's Brian's blog posting about the show.

That's it for my First Friday in Hood River experience. It was fabulous!

1 comment:

Peggi Habets said...

Your paintings at the winery look terrific. I'd love to see them in detail. Very nice.