Thursday, August 06, 2009

The Inspiration for Mary's Poppies, and the actual inspiration!



Inspiration for Mary's Poppies - oil on canvas - 30 x 40 (top)
Photo of the actual inspiration (bottom)
If there's one thing I know for sure, it's that painting is predictably unpredictable. The original painting: Mary's Poppies, was leaning against the wall of my studio drying, right next to the vase of flowers that I'd used as inspiration for that painting.
As I sat contemplating another painting, it occurred to me that I should paint the scene in front of me instead, being that each painting was intrinsically connected to the other, while both were connected to Mary. It was totally, unpredictably, unplanned and spontaneous--the idea that is, not the actual painting process. Painting it wasn't really that hard though, becuase I had the scene right in front of me every day.
So now I have two paintings quixotically connected through random occurrence. How artistically poetic!
~ I will keep the brush happy in my hands! ~

No comments: