Sunday, June 28, 2009

Painting at the Lake on June 28

around 1:00 pm, June 28, 2009
oil on linen panel - 11" x 14"

It was a beautiful Sunday so we headed for Lake Sacajawea to practice what we learned at the Mitch Baird painting workshop. Plus, the water lilies are in full bloom. I love water lilies.

Painting water lilies is easier said than done. I don't know if the principles of value, shape and distance apply when painting water and water reflections? Allan and I were both about as frustrated as we've ever been on a painting trip. I think my painting is a dud. Worth scraping off, in my opinion, but I saved it as a learning experience. Here's Allan's painting. It has an impressionist feel.
Part of the reason may be that we were both painting in full sun, at noon. It must have muted the colors, becuase neither one of us could figure out what color we were using. All my darks were too dark and my lights were too light. Next time I'll sit in the shade.

So here it is. I'll let you be the judge.
~ The brush wasn't happy in my hand today ~

3 comments:

Celeste Bergin said...

You're being too hard on yourself--there is much more positive to be said about this painting than negative. I am impressed with the beautiful greens and how good your contrasts are. Good overall design. I think you did very well!

csbartist said...

Actually, Marie, I love this painting! The first thing I said out loud when I saw it was, "Oh! Beautiful!" I think your value contrast is very dramatic, and to me, that is just how those water lilies looked to me on Saturday at noon when I was at the lake.
Carol Boudreau

csbartist said...

Actually, Marie, I love this painting! The first thing I said out loud when I saw it was, "Oh! Beautiful!" I think your value contrast is very dramatic, and to me, that is just how those water lilies looked to me on Saturday at noon when I was at the lake.
Carol Boudreau