Friday, May 29, 2009

Quick Poppy Study

Quick Poppy Study - watercolor - 7" x 9"
I'm starting a new painting, you guessed it, poppies again. I just bought a set of Daniel Smith quinacridone watercolors, so I decided to try them out.
Quinacridones are transparent, extremely vibrant warm colors. Mixing them with other colors, or glazing them on top of colors, makes everything pop.
This little study gives me a feel for the larger red poppies I'm putting into the new 30 x 40 oil painting. I have to wash the colors on big and bold, and worry about the details later, which is sort of counter-intuitive for me; considering I can get carried away with details in a hurry.
So hopefully I can loosen up!

~I will keep the brush happy in my hand~

1 comment:

Chris said...

What a lovely little painting! Such vibrant colors!