Thursday, May 28, 2009

Painting at Lake Sacajawea on May 23

oil on linen panel - 11" x 14"
Another beautiful weekend and maybe the last chance to paint yellow irises this season. We set up on a shady bank facing the Kessler side, with reflections of Emmanuel Lutheran Church in the water. I liked the spot because the water was calm.
The irises posed so nicely, they didn't even move once! A little brown duck even floated back and forth for me. I know he wanted to be in the painting so I obliged!
I like how it turned out, sort of capturing the moment, but not too fussy. I refuse to touch up my plein air paintings when I get home. It sort of defeats the purpose of capturing the moment, plus I'm tired by that point and have brushes to clean.
I won't be able to paint next weekend, I'll be at the Salal Spring Arts Festival demonstrating a painting of a Rhododendron, inspired by a photo taken by Anne Chaikin, a wonderful photographer I met on flickr. Anne's screen name is Paint and Shoot!
And finally, Suzanne Amodio, another flickr artist, asked if I could mention her on my blog, so that's what I'm doing. Thanks for sharing your work with me!
~I will keep the brush happy in my hands~

1 comment:

Painting Intimate Moments of Motherhood said...

beautiful piece Marie! I hope you are well!
Love, Katie