Saturday, May 16, 2009

Painting at Lake Sacajawea ~ and carrot cake!


Done en plein air at Lake Sacajawea11 am, May 16, 2009
oil on linen panel - 11" x 14"
The weatherman said we could expect 80 degrees this weekend, so Allan and I got up early on Saturday, had coffee, and headed for my favorite painting spot at Lake Sacajawea. I was all ready to paint just the yellow irises and their reflections in the water that I'd scoped out earlier in the week. But seeing Allan against the water, combined with bright greens and yellows changed my mind, and I decided to put him in the painting. I had to work fast, because he doesn't sit still long. I think I captured it, just like one of those Impressionist paintings of artists painting in the grass. ~Viola.

While I was painting, Mary called and asked for the carrot cake recipe I made for her birthday, so here it is:

Carrot Cake
2 cups flour
2 cups sugar
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
3 cups grated carrot
1 cup cooking oil
4 eggs
1 8-oz. can crushed pineapple
1/2 cup shredded coconut
1/2 cup raisins
1/2 cup chpped walnuts

Get ready:
Grate the carrots. Drain the pineapple but reserve the juice. Chop the walnuts.

Mix:
Combine flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon and nutmeg in a large bowl. Add carrots, oil and eggs. Beat with a mixer until well combined. If mixture seems dry, add pineapple juice bit by bit. Mix in the drained crushed pineapple, coconut, raisins and walnuts.

Bake:
Pour into two bread pans (8x4x2) that have been sprayed really well with Pam. Bake at 350 degrees for about 30 minutes, or until toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Let cool 10 minutes. Remove from pans and cool on wire rack. When completely cool, frost with Cream Cheese frosting.

Cream Cheese Frosting
1 8-oz package cream cheese
1/2 cup softened butter
2 teaspoons vanilla
2 cups powdered sugar (or more if desired)

Beat together the cream cheese, butter and vanilla until light and fluffy. Beat in powdered sugar until frosting is spreadable.

Divide frosting in half, spread top of each cake with frosting and swirl around.

Refrigerate to firm up the frosting. Slice and serve. YUM!

Freezes very well, just wrap up in plastic wrap and foil. I like to put one in the freezer, so I can just slice off a piece once in a while and have it for dessert. I think I'll do that tonight!

No comments: