Sunday, May 17, 2009

Mary's Poppies ~ Day 7, and the banana bread

Mary's Poppies - 30 x 40 - oil on canvas - Day 7 (top image)
My banana bread (bottom image)
~The painting is coming together, but I've been so busy that I haven't done much painting lately. Today I spent most of the day cleaning the deck outside my art studio and getting my planters ready to plant poppy seeds I ordered from the One Stop Poppy Shoppe. I tell you, online shopping for poppy seeds couldn't have been easier. I placed my order on a Tuesday and on Friday the seeds arrived, together with planting instructions and a lovely thank you card from the company. I planted them today and hopefully by September I'll have poppy inspirations for more paintings.
I also made a Crock-Pot bean with bacon soup from our Easter ham bone, and banana bread with two uber-ripe bananas. It turned out yummy. Here's the recipe, handed down in the 70's from my Dad's friend Sallie Schott.
Banana Bread
1/2 cup butter
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup white sugar
2 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 cups flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspon salt
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
1-1/4 cups mashed banana
1/4 cup raisins
1/4 cup chopped walnuts or pecans
You can add some applesauce and sour cream if your bananas don't equal 1-1/4 cups.
Cream the butter and sugars. Add the eggs and vanilla and beat well. Add the flour, baking soda, salt cinnamon and nutmeg and mix well. Add in the mashed bananas and combine. Stir in the raisins and walnuts/pecans.
Pour into one greased loaf pan. Bake 350 degrees for one hour, or until toothpick inserted into center comes out clean. Cool 10 minutes. Remove from pan and cool for a while, then slice and serve. Yum!
Yesterday we painted at Lake Sacajawea, and I already posted my painting, but here's Allan's painting of the yellow irises. He finished it up at home.
Here's the poppy painting progress:
E-mail me if you'd like to subscribe to my list.

No comments: