Tuesday, May 05, 2009

Mary's Poppies - Day 1

Mary's Poppies - 30 x 40 - oil on canvas
Day 1
Mary has a new little place that needs some color. I offered to make a big bright painting for her living room.
I brought over several canvases and we picked out one that fit best. Then she and I sat on the floor with our glasses of wine and sketched out the composition with brown and orange conte. We used a big jug of fake poppies for inspiration. The cat knocked it over twice.
When I got home I roughed in the drawing with Yellow Ochre and Cobalt Blue oil paint thinned with Liquin to a sort of greenish yellow. From there I plan to start blocking in the colors.
I'll post each day's progress, until Mary's Poppies is finished. Then we hope to have an unveiling, along with some wine and snacks!

No comments: