Monday, April 27, 2009

Sketching in Central Park





Ink sketches of Central Park views done on Warwick Hotel note paper
April 18, 2009
Our last stop in New York was Central Park. I wanted desperately to take pictures, but the camera battery ran out in one of the museums, and yours truly didn't pack the recharger. What's an artist to do? It was a lovely day, warm, sunny and calm. People were everywhere, but we found a spot on the grass under some trees.
I dug out the Warwick Hotel note pad I'd stashed in my purse and proceeded to sketch the view in every direction while Allan napped. Some 'New Yawkahs' next to us chatted away and I tried not to smile at their accent. I wondered if anyone famous might walk by. Allan woke up and was sure he recognized the black man laying on the grass nearby. He said it was the actor who played Dr. Benton on ER. I wasn't sure. I was looking for David Letterman or Eliot Spitzer, but no one of any repute strolled by. Then a bird pooped right on my purse. Good thing it didn't hit my head! So we gathered up our bags and headed back to the hotel. Time to board the shuttle for JFK.
Goodbye New Yawk. It was nice to visit. I'm sure glad I don't live there! But the trees in Central Park were magnificent and I would have loved to paint there.

1 comment:

dayana said...

I recently came accross your blog and have been reading along. I thought I would leave my first comment. I dont know what to say except that I have enjoyed reading. Nice blog. I will keep visiting this blog very often.


Susan

http://sketchingdrawing.com