Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Klimt's Bloch-Bauer at the Neue Galerie

Me, at the Neue Galerie (top)
My sketch of the shapes I saw in the Bloch-Bauer portrait
My trip to New York wasn't complete without a visit to the Neue Galerie, home to the $135 million Klimt painting of Adele Bloch-Bauer.

In 2006 Ronald Lauder of the Estee Lauder cosmetics fortune purchased the painting from Maria Altmann (descendent of Adele Bloch-Bauer) for his Neue Galerie in New York City, for a record setting price of $135 million. See above links for the painting's history.

I paid the $15 admission fee to the Neue Galerie just to see the the Klimt. Amazing. Awesome. Fabulous. I always thought Klimt painted in a loose, brushy fashion. I was surpised to see how delicate his work was. The flesh was translucent, extremely delicate, and had to have been done with small brushes. The Bloch Bauer painting was magnificent, as were the other Klimts I saw in the Metropolitan and MOMA.

The security guard standing watch at the Neue adamantly stated that no photography was allowed. Darn. So my only option was to pull out a Warwick Hotel note pad and sketch every shape I saw in the painting. Viola, my sketch (above), done on location at the Neue Galerie in New York City on April 16, 2009.

No comments: