Thursday, March 05, 2009

Coco Blackburn at Eleven O'49






Coco Blackburn - Divine Recollections
Eleven O'49 Studio & Gallery
February 23 - March 21, 2009
We drove to downtown Milwaukee for my friend Coco's painting and mixed-media artist reception at Eleven O'49 Studio & Gallery. One thing about Coco--she loves to make art with materials you'd never think of as art materials. Plywood, copper, canvas, caulk, fabric, screen, nails, screws, wire, branches, latex house paint and glow-in-the-dark paint, you name it, she uses it. Then you stand in front of it and go wow! It's almost as if a different person created each piece.
A gallery manager told me recently that gallery managers look for consistency in an artist's body of work; whether it has uniformity in style, subject and presentation. It makes me wonder whether a body of work can be consistent in its inconsistency? Because I struggle with that concept; consistency. I mean, how can an artist do the same thing all the time? It gets boring after a while. Artists have to expend tremendous energy creating a body of work, and sometimes before it's finished, we move onto something better. The whole process means improving as an artist, which naturally leads to better (and different) artwork. So we're left with either a lot of different bodies of work, or unfinished bodies of work; voila the inconsistency.
For sure Coco is doing that and in my opinion she could teach me a thing or two. So good for you Coco. Keep up the great work. I love your art because it is consistently you!
If you have time see Coco's show, the address is 11049 SE 21st in downtown Milwaukee, Oregon. A quaint little place I might visit again sometime. See ya 'round, Coco!

No comments: