Saturday, February 14, 2009

Klimt Scarf

Klimt Scarf (top image) - 16" x 20" - oil on panel
Study for Klimt Scarf (bottom image) - 9" x 12" - gouache on paper
See on my website
In keeping with my plan to paint people in 2009, here's my first portrait. Keep in mind it's my first portrait in eons, and I haven't worked out all the intricacies of flesh mixtures yet. But in my opinion it's a benchmark I can use to measure future progress, and I happen to love the model (and that scarf) very much!
I primed this panel with oil-based gesso, creating a smoother surface, while still allowing texture effects. And I didn't use any medium in my paint, which is new for me, resulting in each layer taking several days to dry. I had to find other projects to occupy myself, which led to my pencil explorations.
Also, I didn't paint a Verdaccio, which I will in my next painting. Not having that green map of light and shadow made it difficult to paint the actual shadows.
For the background I smushed a bunch of bright colors around; which was fun! The little goauche study allowed me to work out the light and dark areas, and give me a better idea of what I really wanted to paint, instead of having to guess when I actually started painting.
So for my next painting, already in the works, I want to practice more painterly brushstrokes, and capture more character.

2 comments:

Vickie Jean @ Zazou said...

Hi there,

May I ask where you got that Klimt scarf?

I work for a scarf company and we have an Homage to Klimt scarf, but this one doesn't look like ours.

Just curious - great blog too -
Vickie @ Zazou
www.zazou.com

Marie Wise said...

I recall getting it in a garden/gift type shop somewhere in Southwest Washington. I loved it so much I put it into my painting!