Sunday, January 04, 2009

White Creek Wind


White Creek Wind
oil on canvas
30" x 40"
will be showing at:
Power of the Wind
Lower Columbia College Art Gallery
Rose Center for the Arts
January 8 - 23, 2009
Opening Reception, January 8: 4:30 - 7 pm
This is my last blog post before the show opens on Thursday. I'm taking a break from everything right now, just to relax and get ready for the show.
This painting is of the White Creek Wind power project as seen from I-84 in the Columbia River Gorge. My neighbor Buzz Ketcham is a Cowlitz PUD commissioner and he told me White Creek was named because of the White Creek valley that winds just north of the project. The creek is seasonal and the valley took a very long time to be created due to seasonal flows of storm water off the high plane in Eastern Klickitat County along State Highway 8. So maybe it's appropriate that I included a'white creek' at the bottom left of the painting!
Buzz also told me that when the PUD started Phase 3 of the White Creek project earlier this year, the Cowlitz PUD decided to avoid confusion by developing a new name. They solicited names from their partners and had a meeting to select one. The 8 or so PUD managers present liked Harvest Wind pretty much immediately. (Harvest Wind is the subject of another of my wind energy painting that will be on display at the show.)
The Harvest Wind project site is 5 miles east of White Creek and involves another 43 turbines. The turbines are being manufactured and will be delivered early in the 3rd qtr of 2009 through the Port of Longview. The PUD intends to have them online by the end of 2009.
That's exciting. I didn't know Harvest Wind was that far along. And I guess it makes total sense that the story I wrote about it relates to my experience at the Port of Longview. You can read that story. and more, at the show!
Hope to see you there!
Paint the Wind, and
Happy New Year!

2 comments:

Sherrie Spangler said...

I love your colors -- they're so alive! They're a much needed injection of spring and light here in western Washington.

Marie Wise said...

Thanks Sherrie, I checked out your blog too and love your quilts and fabric arts. I'm following your blog, because I LOVE quilt art!