Sunday, December 28, 2008

Harvest Wind

Power of the Wind
Lower Columbia College Art Gallery
Rose Center for the Arts
January 8 - 23, 2009
Opening Reception, January 8: 4:30 - 7 pm

Harvest Wind
oil on canvas
30" x 40"

(below)

Study for Harvest Wind
8" x 10"

Last August I read a Daily News newspaper story about the Harvest Wind power project the Cowlitz PUD and other partners plan to build. I wondered how exactly they’d come up with the name ‘Harvest Wind,’ and how this project tied into their earlier project, ‘White Creek Wind.’

Since the project doesn’t exist yet, I had no photo references, so I decided to create my own landscape. I turned to Vincent Van Gogh’s painting, Wheat Fields under a Clouded Sky for inspiration. It reminds me of the wheat fields in eastern Washington glowering under a storm-brewing sky. You can just feel the wind.

Allan and I both love Vincent Van Gogh. He painted fields of harvest and clouds moving in the wind. A few of his paintings include the windmills that were used to power grist mills. I’ve thought about this a lot, and I’m convinced that if wind turbines had existed in his time, he’d have painted them with gusto!

See this painting in progress.

This painting will be on display at Power of the Wind in January.

No comments: