Monday, November 24, 2008

Thunderhead Wind

Power of the Wind
Lower Columbia College Art Gallery
Rose Center for the Arts
January 8 - 23, 2009
Opening Reception, January 8: 4:30 - 7 pm
Thunderhead Wind
oil on linen panel
9" x 12"
On November 12 Allan and I took our weekend walk through Riverwatch. The weather man had reported that a big rain storm was coming so we figured we better hurry. As we were walking on Eli Avery I looked west over the Columbia River and there was this huge thunderhead cloud in the distance. I couldn't help but wonder how a wind turbine would look against that cloud. Allan and I talked about how exactly an artist would mix the gray colors we saw in the sky. When I got home I couldn't resist the challenge, I mean, how badly could I mess up a small painting? So I mixed up a bunch of piles of gray and then added different colors, like ultramarine blue, alizarin crimson, or yellow ochre. Then I underpainted the canvas a bright pink, and laid on the grays thick and juicy. This is it. Turns out it's one of my favorites, becuase of the brush strokes. I always try to paint like this, but because I try so hard, it never works out. This time I didn't try, and voila! I think I'll frame it for the show.
Paint the wind!

1 comment:

Dar Presto said...

this one looks great, wonderful brushstrokes and color.
I have 'tagged' you. For details visit my blog.