Friday, November 28, 2008

Morning Wind

Power of the Wind
Lower Columbia College Art Gallery
Rose Center for the Arts
January 8 - 23, 2009
Opening Reception, January 8: 4:30 - 7 pm

Morning Wind
oil on canvas
48" x 60"

(below)

Morning Wind - detail

My latest wind energy painting. The inspiration came from several sources: a painting of a magnificent sunrise I saw in one of my art magazines, the magnificent sunrises we see here in Riverwatch, Allan's heron, and my fascination with water reflections.

I wanted each element of this painting to have equal billing, so I divided it into thirds (sky, sunrise, landforms). Allan's idea to add a heron in the foreground matched my focus of showing wind turbines in the natural environment, and he found the picture of a heron to use for reference.

Below is a detail from the painting, so you can see how the darks morph into reds and greens.

This painting has a lot of layers, and took more than a month to finish. It's the second of what I hope will be three paintings showing turbines at different times of the day: morning (this painting) noon, and sunset (which I haven't completed yet, but here's a small study). You can see preliminary stages and studies for this painting here.

Thanks for sharing!

Paint the wind !

No comments: