Saturday, October 11, 2008

Primary

Primary - 36" x 48" - oil on canvas
I stumbled across Madeleine Wood, who does some of the most beautiful interpretations of fabric and fruit that I've ever seen, and her work inspired this painting. I think painting fabric is an interesting concept, given my interest in quilts, and the challenge of reproducing the folds and shadows in the fabric was one I couldn't ignore. Allan wonders why anyone would bother to paint fabric? Well, in college we had to draw fabric, and I recall seeing studies by old masters (Leonardo/DaVinci) in which they realistically drew fabric using conte crayon and pencil. So the concept isn't that foreign. It's just, why would someone like me spend the amount of time that it took to complete this painting, to actually paint this subject? It did take quite a while. All I can say is that the idea of representing primary colors in a dynamic composition took hold of me months ago. And once I started I had to finish. So here it is, at last. I don't know that I'll do another one, but I do feel that I accomplished what I set out to do.
More on this painting:
Now it's back to painting the wind!

2 comments:

Dale Anne Potter said...

WOW!!!
At first glance it truly looks like fabrics.....FABULOUS JOB!!!

Robin Weiss said...

Marie, You've done a great job on this painting! I'm sure the time spent will pay off on other paintings...