Sunday, October 19, 2008

Green Wind

Detail from Green Wind
Green Wind, at last! I started this painting last May, and finished it in late August. It took me all summer, mostly because my summer was so busy, including my daughter's wedding!
It was a challenging painting. My inspiration came from the wheat fields in Van Gogh's painting Mountainous Landscape - View from St. Pauls Hospital. I did several small gouache studies to work out the composition. Then I began the tedious process of building up layers of paint on a 48" x 60" canvas that I'd prepared with numerous coats of gesso. You can see the paint strokes in the three detail images above. It was fun to see the depth develop with each new layer of paint.
I kept an extensive painting journal, because often weeks would expire between painting sessions (due to wedding planning) and it would be almost impossible to remember how I'd mixted my blue sky, yellow field or purple mountain!
All the while I was painting, I kept thinking, if wind turbines had existed during Van Gogh's time, they most surely would have been planted squarely in the middle of the wheat fields he so loved to paint--and he would have painted them with gusto!
Feel free to let me know whether my field, mountains and sky resemble Van Gogh's, because that would be the ultimate compliment!

2 comments:

Dar Presto said...

Yea! It's really great. I did think of Vincent, before I read your commentary, so it was unsolicited. But it's definitely your handwriting and your point of view. Terrific.

Amber said...

Absolutely beautiful! And yes, there's a definite Van Gogh-iness about the grass and farmhouse, but not in the exaggerated way that one often sees artists imitate Van Gogh.