Tuesday, September 23, 2008

my vacation: Santa Fe - view from Abiquiu Reservoir

View from Abiquiu Reservoir - 5 x 7 - watercolor
I promised you artwork from my trip to Santa Fe, and here's the first one. Allan and I spent a week touring Georgia O'Keeffe country in and around Santa Fe, New Mexico. It is surely the most beautiful place in America. One of our favorite painting spots was Abiquiu Reservoir, a scenic lake maintained by the Corps of Engineers, and the location for many of Georgia O'Keefe's paintings of The Pedernal, a majestic, flat topped mountain she loved. This view is opposite of that view.
If you're wondering who Georgia O'Keeffe is, here's a Wikipedia article. She is an artist I greatly admire. We enjoyed a tour of her house in Abiquiu, visiting her museum in Santa Fe, and painted at some of the scenic locations she loved, including Ghost Ranch (all referenced in the above article). She died in 1986.
So all-in-all, it was the best vacation of my life. Here's the photo I took of the location where I made this painting, and all my Santa Fe photos.

No comments: