Friday, September 05, 2008

The Dancer, after Gustav Klimt


The Dancer, after Gustav Klimt - oil on canvas - 24" x 36"
Tiny detail from The Dancer - oil on panel - 5" x 7"
It's funny sometimes how paintings are born. For months, I've had all these wind paintings swirling around in my head, just itching to get started: Harvest Wind, White Creek Wind, Morning Wind. All I need are more hours in the day, or maybe to give up sleep. I've been frustrated over when exactly I'd feel motivated enough to get started. Then the weekend after the wedding I walked into my bedroom and noticed a blank spot on the wall where Allan had hung a painting then moved it away. The hanging hardware was poking out and it came to me--bam--that spot needs a painting. In keeping with my Klimt bedroom theme, which already has 'Danae' above the bed, I realized I had to paint The Dancer. And fifteen minutes later I was laying it out on the canvas and roughing in the values. Switched gears, just like that, after agonizing for months over which wind painting to start next, and how big, and which colors to use, blah, blah, blah. Sometimes you can't plan a painting. It just has to happen. So here it is, stage one: values. When it gets some color, I'll post it again and you can decide if switching painting plans at the speed of light was worth it after all.
Oh, the little one is a 5 x 7 study of a small portion of the painting. I like to try out colors and brushstrokes on a little study while I'm doing the larger painting. I end up with two-for-one, and sometimes the little one turns out better than the big one!

No comments: