Friday, June 13, 2008

The Salal Review

Water Reflections #7 - 18 x 24 - pastel on paper
I was honored to have my painting chosen for the cover of Lower Columbia College's 2008 literary magazine: The Salal Review.
I did this painting in 2003, shortly before my daughter graduated from high school. I was looking forward to having more time in my life for art. I was also fascinated with all the colors and shapes created by boats reflected in water. This painting is titled '#7' because there were six other paintings that preceded it. You can see all of them on my website.
I'm no longer working in pastel because it costs so much to frame pastel paintings. However, I framed #7 and it's hanging in my office.
This painting was inspired by a photograph taken by my friend Bob Bernstein, a talented photographer I met while working in the maritime industry. I tried to find his website but Google didn't return any search results, so I don't know what happened to him.
And finally, if you're like me, you have no idea what 'salal' is. Here's the Wikipedia definition.

No comments: