Wednesday, May 07, 2008

Red Wind

Red Wind - oil on panel - 12" x 16"

This is the second in my series: Primary Wind. This time I used only reds, in fact every red in my storage caddy. Cadmium Red, Cadmium Scarlet, Alizarin Crimson, Permanent Rose, and of course, Titanium White.

Can wind have a color? Almost every Van Gogh painting I have seen has fields of waving grass and wheat. The colors are greens, yellow and blues. His brush strokes mimic the movement of air. A couple of years ago I saw his paintings in the Seattle Art Museum. On close examination, I saw a brush hair embedded in the paint. I almost cried. It was like he was right there! The movement in that painting was phenomenal. Like he captured the wind.

Check out the paintings of another blog artist, Dar Presto. I like her style.

On to another painting, Blue Wind?

No comments: