Saturday, May 17, 2008

Orchid

Orchid - 30 x 40 - oil on canvas
I've been painting wind turbines for so long I needed a break. A story in The Independent about orchids flourishing because of warming temperatures inspired me to paint it. Why? I love the colors and shapes, like an O'Keeffe abstract floral. It also made me think about global warming and all its ramifications. One of which is more orchids! A strange connection; that something as scary as global warming could cause more of these beautiful flowers to bloom.
I have to give inspiration its due, and tell you that I found the reference photo for this painting on flickr. The moment I saw it I knew I had to paint it. The photographer is from Rotterdam.
PS: The Independent is a London publication about the environment. I stumbled across it in a keyword search for "global warming."
Now it's time to get back to the wind turbine paintings!

No comments: