Sunday, December 02, 2007

Sunflowers and the Wind

Sunflowers and the Wind - 48" x 60"
This is my second large-scale painting about wind energy. It was inspired by the sunflowers that grew in my garden this summer. They were huge! I've never been able to grow sunflowers because the rabbits would always eat them at my other house. But the rabbits apparently don't like sunflowers here on the hill, and the deer didn't care for them--thank goodness! Plus I've always had a fondness for Van gogh sunflowers, so I decided to incorporate my sunflower inspirations into a story about wind energy.
To me, this painting symbolizes nature and wind energy coexisting in harmony. The tall stalks of the sunflowers replicate the tall towers of the wind turbines in the distance. The gentle winds that turn the blades on the wind turbines also cause the sunflowers to bend and sway, but they are resiliant and do not break. There is a life cycle to this painting as well. You can see the birth of a sunflower in the center, young sunflowers at the top, and a gracefully aging sunflower at the right. An Oregon Swallowtail butterfly (my favorite) alights gently on a leaf. The butterfly is a symbol of something temporary, because it will only connect with these sunflowers briefly, then fly away, like the electricity that is produced by wind turbines. It is temporary, used, then gone, like the winds that power the turbines themselves.
This is my story, but when you see this painting you will have to read your own story. I'm sure it will have different meaning, depending on your own experiences. Enjoy!

2 comments:

Robin Weiss said...

I bet this looks really stunning in person as large as it is. Good for you Marie! Painting this large takes artistic courage and you pulled it off nicely!

I like the idea of wind power too. I hope they continue working on the technology.

Tracy Wandling said...

I was very interested to see your wind energy paintings. I think they are fabulous! I live in northern BC, Canada, and there is a ridiculous debate going on about wind energy...as if it wasn't the most natural and least destructive way to harness energy!
I am going to give your blogspot address to some of the people working on getting wind energy into our area...I think that they will love your paintings. I do.
Thanks for sharing these!!