Sunday, January 14, 2007

Blue Iris


Inspired by the Biography of Georgia O'Keeffe by Roxanna Robinson that I picked up at a used bookstore in Pullman. It turned out to be the best thing I've read in ages. Paired with my New Year's resolution to paint more from color and emotion than from technique, this painting expresses the shape and color of a perky blue iris, one from the bunch Allan brought home so I'd have some floral inspiration during these dreary winter months. They lasted only four days, much less than it took me to finish this painting. I had to complete it from sketches and memory, and the background got reworked twice. It's more about shape and color than floral accuracy, in what I hope, is a small measure of my understanding of Georgia O'Keeffe's magnificent ability to abstract a subject into beautiful simplification.

No comments: