Sunday, September 24, 2006

White Iris - Finished

I worked all weekend on finishing this painting, and I can finally say - it's done! If you look at the previous version, you can see that the background morphed into leaf shapes. I didn't exactly plan it that way, but that's the wonderful thing about painting. You just never know what's going to happen.

I didn't get much else done this weekend. All I did was paint. I wish I could do that every day. I'd be so happy.

Now I need to move on to another painting. I have the canvas all ready to go, just need the inspiration. In the meantime I'm also focusing on the small daily paintings that I'll start posting on Oct. 1. They are a joy to work on, and I'm learning a lot about colors and blending.

Next week I am going to post my progress on the hands studies. They're moving along - slowly but steadily. They take about five days dry time between each phase.

I've been experimenting with a lot of different painting techniques this summer (old masters, layers, direct) and I like using a little of each technique in every painting. Except the daily paintings--they have to be direct painted. But there is a totally different effect you get from layering paint on top of paint. It has a lot of depth. That's what I like. But there is less immediate gratification. You have to wait a couple of layers before you start to feel the painting come alive. Takes patience, which I often don't have enough of. Speaking of which, I need to go clean up my studio, because messes make me impatient. Until tomorrow!

3 comments:

PacificNorthwestPostcards said...

This is just a stunning work! Abeautiful blend of color and line. Congrats! It's superb.

Simone of Art Critiques said...

I really like this flower painting.

Paintdancer said...

This is absolutely gorgeous! I wish I had the patience to try layering. I don't.