Wednesday, September 27, 2006

Monet's Butterfly - First Background

I added the first background in my painting Monet's Butterfly. Of course, it is a long way from finished but I wanted to share the progress with you.

I continue to learn the technique of rendering flesh in the Old Masters style, which requires patience, a gentle touch and careful blending; and a lot of careful explanations from my teacher!

The title Monet's Butterfly may not make sense, but to me the hands remind me of a fluttering butterfly, and the white shape in the background will eventually morph into a scarf shape that has been inspired by one of my favorite floaty scarfs with a pattern of Monet's water lilies on it. I bought it at the Carnegie Art Institute after seeing the actual painting by Claude Monet. I also saw Plains at Auvres, the last painting Vincent Van Gogh did before he shot himself.

Sometimes the inspiration for a painting will come to me in what seems like a disconnected fashion, but when I stop to examine why I'm painting what I'm painting, it tells a story about my own experiences. I just hope that when other people see my art they can find enough in it to make their own connection.

Although this painting is far from finished, part of my inspiration is--you guessed it--my own hands. Although they usually are covered with a bunch of gooey paint messes!

1 comment:

bart said...

nice painting