Wednesday, August 30, 2006

White Iris

This is the White Iris with the background partially completed. If you look at yesterday's blog you can see the previous background which was just a brown wash.

This painting is on a gallery-wrap canvas which means I need to paint the edges. The only trouble is the bottom edge sits on the easel so in order to paint it I have to flip it upside down. I used to ignore the edges until I was done. But I discovered that isn't such a good idea because I can't remember my paint mixtures nor can I replicate the layers. So now I paint them as I work.

Photographing this painting wasn't easy either. It's big - 36" x 48", and wet. Shooting with a flash caused reflections on the wet paint. It's too big to drag outside. I ended up turning the easel to face the late afternoon sun from the window, then shot without a flash. The left side seems lighter due to the window light. Then I pushed my easel back into place and managed to get a big smear of green paint on my nice sweats. Geez!

While this one is drying I started my painting-a-day project. I finished one tonight, but I can't post it yet. It's wet. I can't photograph it with a flash or use a spotlight because it will reflect off the wet paint. Shooting without a flash distorts the colors. So I'll have to wait until it dries to plop it on the scanner. That means I won't be able to post any of them the day I paint them. That was what excited me about this whole thing--being able to share them in cyberspace the day I painted them. But until I can figure out how to digitize a wet painting, I'll have to wait till they dry. I wonder how other painting-a-day artists do this??

Thanks for reading my blog and sharing my painting today.

Oh, one more thing. You might want to read this article in USA Today that features some of the ways artists are marketing themselves by creating painting-a-day and how it is changing the art marketplace. I stumbled across it and was totally amazed. Enjoy!

2 comments:

ciamas@mac.com said...

Thank you for sharing your paintings and a diary-like account of your daily journey of your processes as an artist. I've enjoyed the links - it has already been an inspiration in possibilities of personal growth. I look forward to watching your progress.

Marcia

Josh said...

Thanks for sharing. Is it a rule to paint the sides in case it is a gallery wrapped canvas? Can one leave the sides as they are if one wants to?