Tuesday, June 20, 2006

Wind Turbines as Art


You wouldn't think this painting would be controversial---it was done for the Wind Energy Art Exhibit at the Windpower 2006 conference in Pittsburgh, PA on June 4 - 7, 2006. My intent was simply to create a visually interesting painting about wind power--and hopefully to sell it. I was juried into the show and my paintings, along with about 20 others, was featured during the conference.

It didn't sell, but what did happen is it appeared on an environmental website called Treehugger. They didn't credit me, even though I am the artist, and I'm pretty sure that the correct Internet protocol would be to ask for permission before using someone's image. But then not everyone is as careful as I am about copyright.

Well to make a long story short, I'm not sure if this is a plus or minus for my painting. And since I'm not into the environmental aspects of wind energy, although I do support it, I appreciate the exposure, but I want everyone to know that I am making an artistic statement, not an environmental one. I paint many subjects: cars, flowers, people, cats. I've also done some illustration work for a friend who is a graphic designer. I appreciate art for arts sake, because it is beautiful, because it makes you feel something, because everyone can connect with it somehow.

5 comments:

Mikhail Capone said...

The painting is now credited with a link to your website.

wisegirl said...

Thank you Mikhail. I appreciate the credit.

Tom Gray said...

I think any publicity is probably good publicity. Certainly can't hurt to get your work before a wider audience. I think you achieved the goal of visual interest.

Regards,
Tom Gray
American Wind Energy Association
www.awea.org
www.ifnotwind.org

wisegirl said...

Thank you Tom, for your comments. Most inspiring for me as an artist was the purchase of this painting by AES Corporation, whose vice-president is on the Board of Directors of AWEA. The success of the show and the subsequent purchase of paintings depicting wind energy reaffirms the importance of the arts to the wind business. It also gives artists a chance to explore the concept of energy within their artistic realm. Again, many thanks to Andrew Perchlik of Vermont Renewable Energy for organizing the show. I'm really looking forward to next year's show in L.A.

AnJaka said...

Great Work!!!
this is a good link you can refer Art Collection